Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Circle of Life


Last week I turned off the lights and locked the door of my classroom for the very last time. It was funny as I packed up all of my things I was struck with this philosophical feeling, perspective I guess. It was almost this time last year that I showed up with Crys's car filled with stuff. I was so eager to fill my classroom with all of the things I had been working so hard on. Then, there was the day I got my nametag next to my door "Mrs. Rich" That's right I was Mrs. Rich and this was my classroom!
As I was packing I was surprised by how much had changed now I couldn't wait to move all of my things out. Then, It hit me I wasn't coming back. I have no job for next year, no new classroom to decorate. All of my teaching stuff will live in boxes waiting for "someday". Someday when I get up the courage to try teaching again. When I am once again filled with a million ideas, hopes, and dreams.
I am going to lunch with the new interns tomorrow. It is suppose to be a nice chat, pass on wisdom kind of lunch. What I really want to say is run! I'm sure the internship can be wonderful given the right situation, but it was quite the roller coaster ride. Perhaps, I really do stink as a teacher and a person and all of their "concerns" were valid. I however, think they forgot to notice one thing about my "teaching style" how much I cared for and loved my students. Maybe it is because I don't have my own kids, but for 6 hours a day I felt like I had 24 kids.
No, I suppose I did not move everything out of my classroom. The books are gone. The decorations gone. The students gone. The computer files... still there (oops). A year's worth of sweat, tears, hopes, and dreams from a teacher's first year teaching... still there. I will probably never step foot in Mt. Loafer again, but a part of me will always be there just as a part of my students will always be with me.
This year my students taught me that the important things are not math, science, and especially not literacy! *Gasp!* (it's ok they already gave me my degree) The most important thing my class and I learned was not on the end of the year criterion reference test. I learned that the most important thing is to be a good person and to put all your trust in the Lord. Then, everything else will fall into place as it should. That doesn't mean you will not be criticized for your methods, but in the end it will all come together for your good.

5 comments:

  1. I can tell you learned a lot. I have 100% respect for teachers. Thanks for sharing these philosophical musings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great point of view and reminder to us all. Way to be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blog...so glad we can keep updated on your adventures! Love ya, Jen (Danny's cousin)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like it was a tough year. Great attitude about a difficult situation. Wish you the best!
    Aunt Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I hopped on over from your food blog...looks like we have more than food in common! I taught Special Ed. for many years and am staying at home, enjoying being a mom. I totally understand your mixed feelings...

    ReplyDelete