Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Too much Relief Society

 Last weekend my Relief Society planned a Friday, Saturday retreat. Since, I'm the enrichment councilor that means I got to plan it. I really did try to delegate, but unfortunately that means that everything changed last minute with only me to pick up the pieces. It was one crazy stress filled week, particularly Thursday...
 So I was attempting to make the cute quote blocks pictured above. I was pulling the top off of the new bottle of mod podge I had bought for this even when it slipped out of my hands. From the mess it made you would have thought I had chucked it across the room.
 It flew all the way under the table and even nailed the wall on the other side! I wish I could blame Will, but he was actually fast asleep taking a nap at the time. Now the question how do you clean up a pile of glue?
Then, my day got even better! I didn't get dinner ready in time to eat before Danny had to run off to a meeting so I was multi-taking holding Will (so he wouldn't touch the oven) and pulling dinner out. Needless to say, my one-handed attempt failed. Once I saw that I wasn't going to make it I attempted to shove the pan back in to catch it. Well that just managed to fling dinner all over my oven.

At least I had saved half to freeze so I pulled that back out of the freezer and stuck it in the toaster oven to be ready when Danny got home and set to work cleaning my oven. After scraping the bulk out I figured hey at least I can get a clean oven out of this and turned on the self clean. Now I had seen a piece of chicken fall down by the burner, but the screws to take off the bottom were covered in cheese and junk so I really didn't want to mess with it. I just figured it was a gas oven and thus used to flame down there so it would be alright.
So about 30 minutes into the clean cycle I realized that when the burner cycled off the flames didn't go away. Apparently, I miscalculated the mess down by the burner and had a small fire in my oven. The worst part was the door was locked because it was on the self-clean. All I could do was turn off the oven and watch the fire. About 5 min. later and lots of black smoke, the fire finally smothered out. The whole time I was envisioning my oven becoming engulfed in flame taking my kitchen and house with it! Danny I think we should get that fire extinguisher we talked about...

Anyways, when Danny got home he looked at me and said, "you look like you need a hug" and proceeded to give me a hug while I told him about how I almost burned down our house.

Worst part was at the end of it all I still had a retreat to plan!

oh and just a tid bit I learned... If you have a stone (like pictured covered in casserole) that gets dirty let it ride in our self-cleaning oven. It comes out like new. Even all the old cheese marks were gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment